Gerni's Game

Image

Did the collapse of dictatorships in Russia and the Eastern Europe put an end to the rich tradition of their animation?
I am not sure about that. No tradition with such a strength can fade out so quickly. I think a lot of things are happening in countries like Czech, Poland, Croatia, and Hungary. Probably the reason I can't hear about them is that I live in the US. Here even video stores specialized in art movies do not have any animation from the Eastern Europe.
The only place I recognize the bitter-sweet taste of those movies is a place I never expected: Pixar. A computer animation company in San Francisco was the last place on earth I could imagine to create something similar to Eastern European style. Here is one beautiful example of Pixar's work made by a Czech immigrant, Jan Pinkava.

Comments

Popular Posts