Good Night, and Good Luck



Who knew George Clooney could direct movies?
Good Night, and Good Luck is a low budget movie, without any sex or violence, without any "action" scenes. It is all shot in a few rooms in a TV studio. The movie surprises the viewer with its thought-provoking content and beautiful black and white cinematography. It is an exception to mainstream Hollywood cinema, and it was made by an unexpectedly talented director.

The movie goes beyond the criticism of the current administration and reminds us of something more important: the fact that even in the height of the McCarthy era there were journalists in the mainstream media who questioned the validity of the actions of their contemporary fascist "patriots." It also remind us of the absence of such journalists in our own time.
- For more about Edward R. Murrow click here.
- If you want to see the movie reading this would be helpful.


Comments

  1. Well said. Saw the movie on Friday and really liked it. George Clooney is a much better director than actor, I must say. Though I confess, I went under the impression that the movie was to focus on McCarthyism, and it took me a while to figure out that Clooney was really making a statement about press freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate him as an actor (too much trying to be a Cary Grant and I ain't buyin' it) and LOVE him as a director. When I first watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, I thankfully had no idea it was directed by him so I was not prejudiced against it. It is an amazing film. My favorite part is the shot of the happy couple leaving the church by the front door as a coffin is being carried in for a funeral from the back door.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts