Monday, February 14, 2005

The Ayatollah's Book Of Etiquette

Image

To have a touch of living as an Iranian I suggest you read The Ayatollah's Book Of Etiquette in the latest issue of Harper's.
What you read there is a part of "Ahkām" (The Orders), a series of Islamic teachings on harām and halāl, "must-do" and forbiden acts, and all the other 'laws' every Iranian child should study at school as a part of curruculom.
I never forget those wasted hours of my life learning Ahkaam. Never hated my country more than those hours in Religious Studies class.
______________________
* A few more readings on this subject:
- For knowing more about life in Iran after the revolution take a look at this book.
- For more on Islamic Shia "Cleaning Laws" see here.
- For more on some Jewish "cleaning laws" (the Islamic ones are a copy of these ones, ... as usual) see here.
- Those ultra-Iranian nationalists who think Zoroastrian religion doesn't have this kind of crap better read Bondahesh. Unfortunately no copy of Bondahesh is on the internet, but I am sure you can buy a copy (in Persian) somewhere on an Iranian online bookstore. Sometime in the future I will translate the parts of Bondahesh about the creation of Woman, and you will see how Zoroastrianism can be as disgusting as the Abrahamic religions.

* Forword (Feb 18, 2005): I finally found The Bundahishn ("Creation"), but the part I wanted to make a link to is removed from the text in the online version. It is at the end of the chapter 15, titled as "On the Nature of Women."

4 comments:

  1. With no disrespect to you or to your country, is it true that you really have those laws. I was having some doubt as those are published by Harper, and sometimes I've heard that translations are sometimes messed up deliberately to potray a negative image of that culture. Also, do you all really have to study/take those religious class and remember those rules?
    Yep, Zoroastrianism has lots of rules which are against women and various other people. I read those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments on my page. I have left another comment there. The last part, regarding music, might interests you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to say, Wow, this is the best blog I have seen! Thanks, and I am going to bookmark this site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The "this book" link about post- revolution life in Iran goes to an amazon page about graphic novels, not to one on a specific text. I'm guessing maybe it was supposed to point to Marjane Satrapi's Peresepolis? (Looks like her illustration above). Or do you have another recommendation?
    Thanks.
    I like your blog.

    ReplyDelete